Running or walking barefoot is not always possible due to ground conditions, temperature or a simply an unsympathetic Tesco store manager. (Other equally unsympathetic supermarkets also exist.)
The answer is a Barefoot Shoe. Yes that may well be an oxymoron but it's also a shoe that allows the foot to behave and perform as if it was barefoot.
The best barefoot shoe and currently the only brand making a complete range of lifestyle and performance shoes is VIVOBAREFOOT.
Check them out at www.vivobarefoot.com
LEE SAXBY TRAINING VIDEO
BAREFOOT FRIENDLY SHOPS
- Trizone in Truro is Cornwall's only dedicated Triathlon store and stocks a wide range of VIVOBAREFOOT shoes, both technical running shoes and leisure models. Also offering in store Barefoot Coaching and Bike Fitting. www.trizonestore.co.uk
- Personal Best near St Austell, Cornwall is a dedicated running store that stocks a range of VIVOBAREFOOT shoes and also offers barefoot coaching and sports physio.
- Step Free in Helston, Cornwall is probably the UK's only barefoot podiatrist and they also stock various barefoot shoes including VIVOBAREFOOT. Lots of barefoot info and running coaching can be arranged too.
- HPT Sports in Bude, Cornwall - recently relocated to the beach from Holsworthy and have been supplying minimalist and barefoot shoes for several years. Stocking VIVOBAREFOOT and running regular barefoot demo and coaching days.
- Ironbridge Runner in Exeter, Devon is Exeter's first stop for running shoes and has been for 17 years. Now stocking VIVOBAREFOOT and offering barefoot coaching and sports physio - staffed by enthusiastic minimal/barefoot runners - also watch out for upcoming barefoot events and The Trail Tribe.
BAREFOOT TECHNIQUE FRIENDLY ESTABLISHMENTS
- St Michael's Spa and Hotel, Falmouth, Cornwall. Great location, luxury hotel, very friendly barefoot positive gym staff! www.stmichaelshotel.co.uk/
BAREFOOT FRIENDLY HOLIDAY LOCATIONS
Looking for a location to dial in your barefoot running technique in the sun? How about running on the quiet country lanes of SW France and relaxing in the pool at a beautiful luxury manoir? Look no further than Manoir Desiderata.
THE BAREFOOT PODIATRIST
A pretty rare phenomenon indeed - most podiatrists believe that the foot is poorly designed and thus unable to support itself, hence why they prescribe orthotics to most of their patients. In Cornwall we are fortunate to have the only BAREFOOT podiatrist in the UK, Steve Bloor. Check out 'Natural Feet' at www.runright.co.uk
Looking for a talented sports photographer to capture perfect action images? Jordan Weeks works with top athletes in many sports and has that creative ability to turn a simple photo into a stunning action-packed image.
Check out my Facebook page promoting a RAW lifestyle, including RAW barefoot running techniques and RAW nutrition. Keep life simple!
Regular barefoot updates and info - check out: @_barefootcoach
How shoes have ruined our feet: